“…one of Tuscany’s true cult wines. Testamatta. It’s a pure Sangiovese that has the race and breed of a grand cru Burgundy.
Think of Domaine de la Romanee-Conti’s La Tache”
James Suckling, April 2010
“I continue to be impressed with the beautiful wines of Bibi Graetz.
These are higly singular, expressive wines
that merit serious consideration”
The Wine Advocate, August 2009.
- ProdProduction zone: Italy, Tuscany, Toscana IGT, Fiesole
- Grapes: 100% Sangiovese
- Vineyards: older than 35 years
- Soil: clay and galestro
- Vinification: Fermentation takes place in open top barriques of 225 liters with 6-8 manual punch-downs per day.
- Aging: The wine is aged in french barriques for 18 months followed by 6 months in the bottle.
- Glass: Riedel, Bordeaux
Testamatta is one of the most engaging wines from Italy that I have had so far. Redigaffi, Poggio di Sotto are some of my favorite wines, just to let you have an idea where am I placing the Testamatta. It is certainly the top in my collection list.
I have tasted (blind) the 2006 Testamatta in one of the Sangiovese theme session. I’m immediately attracted and impressed by this wine (needless to say the beautiful label, too) and no doubt wine of the day for many of us. I’ve became a huge fan of Bibi Graetz since then and I can’t resist not to open this 2007 when I saw this in my cellar. Young for sure, but by no mean undrinkable as it is perfectly balance and showing great sense of harmony as well as finesse. Don’t hesitate to pop one if you have a few sitting inside the cellar.
- Alcohol :: 14%
- Sweet red raspberry, red cherry, rose petal as well as earth and truffle. The acidity core is lively and lifted. Medium – full bodied. I really like the liveliness and focus of this. There is this sweet cherry, caramel, roasted coffee bean, truffle and spices. Fine grained tannin with excellent poised and finesse. Perfectly balance and harmonize. Sweet long finished with truffle, juicy sweet fruits. Hard not to like a gorgeous wine like this. 93.